Have you ever listened to an audio book?

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Thing 5



Read * Write * Reachout * Rock * Repeat

I loved the brief idea that these attributes are helpful in the workplace. Students often ask why they need to learn to read and write. To offer to them some newer web 2.0 reasons might just win them over. To suggest that they learn from others via wikis or blogs and then respond and share those ideas in writing are valid in their lives. I love the idea of sharing what you are good at doing with others, then maybe they will share what they are good at and both parties will be smarter:)

I am glad to be better informed about the term Web 2.0 which I have heard thrown around in the past few years, but never quite had a grasp of. As I understand it Web 2.0 is : Active rather than passive web materials. They allow the participate to create, collaborate and contribute (Hargadon). Free.

Like Hargadon, I too learn more through collaboration but I understand that some students will need to be taught to work as a team and to learn from others.

Another concept I read a couple of times when learning about Web 2.0 is the idea that "many minds" work better than one (my paraphrase) This makes me think of the Shaker concept that many hands make light the work. And this all goes back again to collaboration. The more good brains working on a problem, the better and more divergent the outcome should be, because everyone brings something different to the solution.

5 comments:

  1. Well said! Our schools still have an "assembly line" mentality, where everyone has to do their own work, and you only have one job to do. So now the 21st century skills come along and our students are expected to collaborate and share because that's the way the world works! Awhile back on my blog I made a "Stone Soup" analogy-- where everyone contributes what they have, but everyone benefits from the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I'm wondering where you found all the cool "widgets" you have on your blog. Please share your sources!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All these Widgets and more are right on the blogger website-customize then "add a gadget"

    I sure hope someone stops me when I get to 23-that is the magic number right? I've spent way too much time playing with these-I've yet to conquer changing the weather location permanently(something about cookies) to Adrian and my favorite widgit-the children's classic book art....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait-I may have conquered the book art:)
    Someone stop me!!!

    ReplyDelete

Graffiti Artist by Abrakadoodle.com 3